The Portsmouth Round
The Portsmouth Round is the mainstay of the Winter Archery Season.
It is mainly an indoor round shot over twenty yards on a 60cm face using ten-zone scoring.
There are several competitions that we take part in using the Portsmouth Round.
- The Bowmen of Danesfield run a monthly Handicap Competition where archers of all abilities, ages, bow types etc., can compete together.
- We give out awards for scoring achievements to help the archer’s progression.
- SCAA run a Winter Postal Portsmouth Competition among the majority of clubs in Somerset. SCAA Postal Competitions
- As a Club, we also participate in the Virtual Archery League run between many archers nationwide. Virtual Archery League
- SCAA Indoor Champs uses the Portsmouth round annually, and several of our archers participate.
The Maximum possible score is 600; however, according to Archery GB UK National records, nobody has achieved that yet, the closest being 599.
The Progress Badges
After six sighters, shooting three arrows at each end, you shoot 5 dozen arrows on a 60cm face at a distance of 20 yards, again using three arrows per end. This round is unusual in imperial rounds because you use ten-zone scoring, with only the ten counting as gold.
Download a club Portsmouth score sheet
- Five dozen arrows are to be shot in batches of three per end.
- The round is shot at the specified distance of 20 yards using 10-zone scoring on a 60cm target face.
- Compound Bows will use a three-spot face.
- Six sighter arrows are permitted, shot three per end, which will not count towards the final score.
- The score sheet is to be witnessed by at least one other club archer, who will record the scores, then sign and print their name on completion as confirmation.
- Score sheets should be submitted to the records office on the official submit your scores form. Submit Score
- Badges are to be awarded when achieving above each of the specified benchmarks. 300, 350, 400, 450, 475, 500, 525, 550, 575, and 580.
- Score beyond 590, and you will receive a club trophy.
The Portsmouth Classifications
The Portsmouth Personal Bests
This is the current list of our archer’s Personal Bests